Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Recipe // Homemade Spaghetti Sauce.

Jo-Anna from A Pretty Life posted this recipe on her blog at the beginning of the month. I am a huge fan of spaghetti and meat sauce, so the moment I saw the below image of her sauce, I immediately had to bookmark and try this recipe for dinner one night...!


Ingredients

1 to 2 lbs lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 – 14 oz can tomato sauce (plain, no spices)
1 – 19 oz can diced tomatoes (plain, no spices)
1 – 5.5 oz can tomato paste
½ cup red wine (or beef broth if you don’t want to use wine)
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
salt & fresh ground pepper to taste

Directions

1. In a large frying pan, brown the beef with the onions and garlic. When the beef is cooked through, drain it, then return to the pan. 

2. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, oregano, basil and salt & pepper. Simmer for about 1 hour, covered.


For some additional recipe notes/suggestions, head on over to Jo-Anna's blog here.

To be honest, tonight's dinner was a toss up between beef stroganoff or spaghetti. Spaghetti won, of course. I wasn't planing on trying this recipe tonight, but I goofed when opening a can of tomato sauce (diced tomatoes instead of crushed). Thankfully I remembered that this recipe used both diced and crushed tomatoes, so I decided to give it a go. The sauce still has 20 more minutes to simmer, but so far, it tastes AMAZING! ... I may be sneaking a taste of this sauce every 10 minutes while it simmers ... I cant' wait to eat dinner tonight.

Do you have a favorite homemade spaghetti sauce recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment